|Chief Pharmacy Officer Journal|
Chief Pharmacy Officers are responsible for the business management and leadership of pharmacy departments, a role uniquely differentiated from patient pharmaceutical care services. As business leaders who represent pharmacy at an executive level, Chief Pharmacy Officers are responsible for regulatory compliance, support of corporate strategic goals and resource management. In addition to significant experience as pharmacists, they have strong business and financial skills, understand pharmaceutical supply chains, build relationships with manufacturers and distributors, are able to manage human resources effectively and have a demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development.
The Certified Pharmacy OfficerTM feasibility study will determine if there is sufficient interest by major pharmacy stakeholders to support the development of a CPO certification program and establish national standards of education, experience and practice for CPOs. Data will be gathered from a diverse range of pharmacy stakeholders to assess market interest and need.
Specialty pharmaceuticals intersect all channels, including hospital and managed care organizations. It is important that the leadership and management of pharmacy operations have the proper information, and education to manage their staff, formularies, and especially patient outcomes. CPO provides innovative approaches to pharmacy leadership, and will help pharmacy establish more share of voice, and credibility in the C-Suite and the boardroom. "The potential to establish standards for a chief pharmacy officer, and assess competencies and requirements for certification, may have a positive effect on the emerging marketplace with specialty pharmaceuticals. We see the connection with improving pharmacy health systems, and pharmacy care, and the importance specialty pharmaceuticals will play going forward. SPCB is very interested in assessing the need for this credential.” Stated Gary M. Cohen.
The SPCB is dedicated to promoting the Specialty Pharmacist’s responsibility in maintaining the highest possible quality standards, to advocate for professional development to ensure that specialty patients receive appropriate care now and in the future, and to provide certification and credentialing programs for healthcare professionals to assure protection of the public.
CPO Journal launched in October, 2013 with an editorial focus on pharmacy leadership, pharmacy management development, and enhancing chief pharmacy officers’ knowledge and skills to improve their credibility, when interacting with C-Suite executives at Managed Care Organizations, Pharmacies, Health systems and Hospitals.
Editorial Content Guidelines
Chief Pharmacy Officer TM, an official publication of the National Association of Specialty Pharmacy (NASPTM), is seeking subject matter experts to write original, unpublished articles.
CPO launched in October, 2013 with an editorial focus on pharmacy leadership, pharmacy management development, and enhancing chief pharmacy officers’ knowledge and skills to improve their credibility when interacting with C-Suite executives at Managed Care Organizations, Pharmacies, Health systems and Hospitals.
CPO is not able to provide honoraria for publication of a submitted article. If accepted and developed for publication, articlea will be published in the next edition online version of the CPO and reprinted in hard copy for distribution at each of NASP’s upcoming meetings.
CPO's goal is to guide today’s pharmacists in a variety of settings. We require practical, up-to-date information. The CPO Education Department is seeking proposals on an ongoing basis for all topics relating to pharmacy practice & management. Based on an educational needs assessment, we are particularly interested in in the following pharmacy practice areas:
If you are interested in submitting a topic proposal for consideration, please review the following process:
1. Identify a topic from the list of proposed topics or from your practice in which you have subject matter expertise. A subject matter expert is someone who is a practice expert in a particular subject area and meets any of the following criteria:
2. Submit the proposed topic for review to email@example.com. Please include "Chief Pharmacy Officer Journal article for consideration” in the subject line of the email and include the following information:
3. CPO will confirm receipt of your proposal via e-mail. Your proposal will be placed in one of the following statuses: accepted, pending, or rejected.
4. If your topic proposal is marked pending, you will be notified and it will be kept on file and may be considered for future development. If your topic is marked rejected, you will be notified via e-mail.
5. If your proposal is accepted for development, CPO Editorial Department will contact you within 4 weeks to discuss your proposal. At this time, you will be provided with further instructions regarding requirements, style, and format of the article. Proposed articles will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
6. The first draft of your article will be due 6 weeks following acceptance or on a mutually agreed upon schedule.
7. The article will be peer-reviewed and reviewer comments will be sent to you for review and revision.
8. The final version of the article will be due 10 days following the receipt of the reviewers’ comments.
9. The article will be copy edited by CPO staff and you may be asked to review changes suggested by the editorial staff. You will have 48 hours to make any suggested editorial revisions. You will receive a copy of the final article layout.
10. Authors will be required to sign a financial disclosure statement outlining any relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest (i.e., any entity that produces, markets, resells, or distributes health care goods or services consumed by, or used on, patients).
11. Authors will be required to assign all rights to the material contained in the article, including claim to copyright, to the National Association of Specialty Pharmacy.
To submit an inquiry regarding CPO Journal, or the Certified Pharmacy Officer credential, please complete the contact form below.
1/16/2014 » 1/17/2014
ECRM Specialty Pharmaceuticals, Biotechnology & Specialty Services Providers
2/12/2014 » 2/16/2014
NCPA Multiple Locations Pharmacy Conference